Why your next trek should be Mount Kilimanjaro?
What makes Mount Kilimanjaro so unique that people love to go for trekking?
Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest mountain in Africa with a height of 19340 feet (5895 meters). It is also the highest free-standing mountain in the world. What do we mean by that? Mount Kilimanjaro stands by itself on a plain. It is not one peak amongst many others in a mountain range. This fact makes it a unique mountain. Also, you can enjoy the wildlife safari on the way.
Mount Kilimanjaro is also the highest walkable mountain in the world. The beauty of the Mount Kilimanjaro trek is that you have to pass through five climatic zones that include the rainforest, alpine desert, and the Arctic glacial climate. Also, you need not be an expert mountaineer to climb this magnificent mountain. However, this trek to the highest point in Africa is not that easy a task. You need to prepare well for your trek. And in case you are wondering how do you prepare yourself for this arduous journey, you can reach out to the good folks at Mojhi, who have previously helped hundreds, if not more in planning their trip to Kilimanjaro.
Here are nine reasons why Mount Kilimanjaro should be your next trek.
- Technically, it is one of the easiest mountains to climb. No previous mountaineering experience is necessary to attempt the Kilimanjaro trek. Statistics point out that the youngest person to trek the mountain was aged six whereas the oldest person was 83 years old. At the same time, the mountain is not without its usual risks such as landslides and altitude sickness.
- In spite of being remote, Kilimanjaro is easily accessible. You have a lot of air traffic at Kilimanjaro airport. Tanzania is an impoverished country. However, there is good infrastructure around Mount Kilimanjaro. There are decent hotels, ground transportation, and gear renting facilities, tourist guides, and porters to carry your luggage.
- If you consider the amount of tourist traffic at Kilimanjaro, it is surprisingly a pristine location. Park rangers are very strict as far as littering is concerned. They do not allow plastic carry bags or water bottles inside the safari. There are seven routes to the mountain, but no roads. You need to trek all the way up. It allows the mountain to preserve its wild nature.
- Mount Kilimanjaro is a natural wonder. You have a snow-covered peak standing out of an ocean of green rainforests. In between, you have the dry Savannah as well. Trekking the mountain is like traveling from the Equator to the North Pole in one week. You pass through five different climate zones. You come across vegetation such as the elephant flower and the Kilimanjaro tree.
- Research shows that the ice cores are more than 11,700 years old. However, the glaciers are melting, and might soon disappear in the next 20 to 30 years. Mount Kilimanjaro is a great place for studying climate change. You can see the glaciers vaporizing before your eyes.
- Traditionally, people climb Mount Kilimanjaro to commemorate personal achievements of poignant moments. The important transitions in life could be your graduation, your marriage, divorce, your employment, or even your retirement. Every trekker to the mountain has some story to tell the world.
- Africa is the land of wildlife safaris. You can watch the wild animals in their natural habitat at the Kilimanjaro Safari as well. There are guided tours that last from two days to nine days depending on your interests and budget. You can see zebras, giraffes, hippos, and even the rhinos during these magnificent
- Many people climb Mount Kilimanjaro to draw attention to a charitable cause such as raising money for a cancer cure, and so on. People with physical disabilities have also climbed the mountain to demonstrate that courage can make you accomplish the most difficult of tasks in life.
- Mount Kilimanjaro is an inspiration. When you stand on top of the snow-covered peaks, you feel on top of the world. You have overcome a lot of difficulties along the way. Hence, reaching the summit brings a sense of tremendous satisfaction.
A trek to Mount Kilimanjaro can transform your life and inspire you to do more significant achievements in life. Intellectuals rightly say. “It is not the mountains you conquer, but ourselves.” What seemed like an impossible climb becomes doable as you move up the mountains. Mount Kilimanjaro might well be the ideal place to cast away all your sorrows in life and vow to make a new beginning.